The Devil Wears Prada
Perhaps the old monks were right when they tried to root love out; perhaps the poets are right when they try to water it. It is a blood-red flower, with the color of sin; but there is always the scent of a god about it.Olive Schreiner
- [On the phone taking a message]Okay... Can you please spell 'Gabbana'? [Person on the other end hangs up] I guess not...
- [Being kissed by Christian] I can't. It's too soon after I've broken up with my boyfriend and ... I have to get up for work early tomorrow ... I've had too much wine, my hearing, visual ... I've run out of excuses.
- [To Andrea] A million girls would kill for this job.
- I'm sorry, do you have a prior commitment? Some hideous skirt convention you have to go to?
- See, I'm on this new diet, well, I don't eat anything. And right before I feel I'm going to faint, I eat a cube of cheese. I'm one stomach flu away from my goal weight.
- [To herself, while working despite a serious cold] I love my job, I love my job, I love my job.
- I rarely say this to people who aren't me, but you have got to calm down! Bloody hell!
- [Berating Andrea after a car accident has kept her from accompanying Miranda to Paris] It's not fair! I mean, you eat carbs for Christ's sake!
- [To Andrea] You sold your soul the day you put on that first pair of Jimmy Choo's, I saw it!
- Also, tell Richard I saw all the pictures that he sent for that feature on the female paratroopers and they're all so deeply unattractive. Is it impossible to find a lovely, slender, female paratrooper? Am I reaching for the stars here? Not really.
- The details of your incompetence do not interest me.
- That's all. [At conclusion of any request made of Andrea]
- [To Andrea] This... stuff? Oh... ok. I see, you think this has nothing to do with you. You go to your closet and you select out, oh I don't know, that lumpy blue sweater, for instance, because you're trying to tell the world that you take yourself too seriously to care about what you put on your back. But what you don't know is that that sweater is not just blue, it's not turquoise, it's not lapis, it's actually cerulean. You're also blithely unaware of the fact that in 2002, Oscar de la Renta did a collection of cerulean gowns. And then I think it was Yves St. Laurent, wasn't it, who showed cerulean military jackets? And then cerulean quickly showed up in the collections of eight different designers. Then it filtered down through the department stores and then trickled on down into some tragic Casual Corner where you, no doubt, fished it out of some clearance bin. However, that blue represents millions of dollars and countless jobs and so it's sort of comical to me how you think that you've made a choice that exempts you from the fashion industry when, in fact, you're wearing the sweater that was selected for you by the people in this room. From a pile of stuff.
- By all means move at a glacial pace; you know how that thrills me.
- We're done here.
- Is there some reason my coffee isn't here? Has she died?
- [There are variants of this line in the deleted scenes]
- Is there some reason my coffee isn't here? Is it beyond the collective power of my staff to accomplish this simple task?
- Is there some reason my coffee isn't here? Has she gone to Rwanda for the beans?
- If I see freesias anywhere, I will be very disappointed.
- [There is an alternate version of this line on the deleted scenes]
- If I see freesias I will lose what is left of my mind.
- Alright everyone. Gird your loins!
- [To Miranda, upon seeing Andrea for the first time] Are we doing a before and after piece I don't know about?
- [Looking Andrea's outfit over on her first day on the job, in a deleted scene] Looks like Oklahoma and New Jersey had a baby out of wedlock.
- [To Andrea] Yes, because that's really what this whole multibillion-dollar industry is all about, isn't it? Inner beauty.
- [To Andrea] ...this place, where so many people would die to work, you only deign to work.
- [To Andrea] This magazine published the greatest artists of the last century: Halston ... De la Renta ... Lagerfeld.
- [To Andrea] You're in desperate need of Chanel.
- [To Andrea, during a fashion shoot in which models are wearing animal masks] Don't make me feed you to one of the models.
- [To Andy] You bet your size 6 ass!
- But I hope for the best, I have to.
- Andy: I'm looking to for Emily Charlton.
- Emily: Andrea Sachs? Great. Human Resources certainly has an odd sense of humor.
- Miranda: And before today you had never heard of me?
- Andrea: No.
- Miranda: You have no style or sense of fashion.
- Andy: I think that depends on-
- Miranda: No, no, that wasn't a question.
- Nigel: [hands Andrea a pair of shoes] I guessed an 8 and a half.
- Andrea: I don't think I'll need these. I mean, Miranda hired me. She knows what I look like.
- Nigel: Do you?
- Andrea: So, none of the girls here eat anything?
- Nigel: Not since two became the new four and zero became the new two.
- Andrea: Well, I'm a six.
- Nigel: Which is the new fourteen.
- Miranda: Emily.... Emily?
- Nigel: [To Andy] She means you.
- Miranda: But that's not what I asked you, I couldn't have been clearer- There you are Emily, how many times do I have to scream your name?
- Andrea: Actually, it's Andy. [pause] My name is Andy... Andrea, but everyone calls me Andy.
- Miranda: [Gives out a small laugh] I need ten or fifteen skirts from Calvin Klein.
- Andrea: What kind of skirts do you-
- Miranda: Please bore someone else with your questions. And make sure we have Pier 59 at 8am tomorrow, and remind Jocelyn I need to see a few of those satchels that Mark is doing in the pony, and then tell Simone I'll take Jackie if Maggie isn't available. Did Demarchelier confirm?
- Andrea: D-D-Demarchelier?
- Miranda: Demarchelier. Get him on the phone.
- Andrea: O-Ok.
- Miranda: And Emily...?
- Andrea: Yes?
- Miranda: [Looks down at Andy's shoes] That's all.
- [Andrea is unable to book Miranda a flight home due to a hurricane]
- Andrea: Oh my God, she's going to murder me!
- Richard Sachs: What does she want you to do, call the National Guard and have her airlifted out of there?
- Andrea: Of course not!...Could I do that?
- Andrea: [Seeing Nigel hold up a black evening gown] I love that! Will that fit me?
- Nigel: A little Crisco and some fishing wire and we'll be in business.
- Jocelyn: I was thinking we could do a piece about the new floral prints for spring.
- Miranda: Florals... for spring. Groundbreaking.
- Andrea: My personal life is falling apart.
- Nigel: That's what happens when you start doing well at work. Let me know when your entire life goes up in smoke, then it's time for a promotion.
- Andrea: Wish me luck.
- Emily: No. Shan't.
- Andrea: (after Miranda has suddenly opened and worried about the effect public disclosure of her upcoming divorce will have on her daughters) Is there anything else I can do to help?
- Miranda: Yes. Your job.
- Andrea: What if I don't want this?
- Miranda: Don't be silly. Everyone wants this. Everybody wants to be us.
- Andrea: Emily, hi. No don't hang up. I've got a favour to ask you.
- Emily: (Sarcastically) You have a favour to ask of me?
- Andrea: Yeah, the thing is I've got all these clothes from Paris and I don't have anywhere to put them so I was wondering if you could take them off my hands.
- Emily: Well, it's a huge imposition. Of course I'll have to have them taken in, they'll drown me. But, very well. I suppose I could help you.
- Andrea: Thanks Emily. I appreciate it. (Hangs up).
- Emily: (Smiling contemplatively and turning to the new girl sitting at Andrea's desk) You have some very large shoes to fill. I hope you realise that.
- Hell on Heels
- Meryl Streep — Miranda Priestly
- Anne Hathaway — Andrea 'Andy' Sachs
- Emily Blunt — Emily Charlton
- Stanley Tucci — Nigel