The Last Man on Earth (1964 film)
Most people ask for happiness on condition. Happiness can only be felt if you don't set any condition.Arthur Rubinstein
- Directed by Ubaldo Ragona. Written by Furio Monetti, Ubaldo Ragona, Willaim Reischester, and Richard Matheson
- Another day to live through. Better get started.
- December 1965. Is that all it has been since I inherited the world? Only three years. Seems like a hundred million.
- I can't afford the luxury of anger. Anger can make me vulnerable. It can destroy my reason and reason's the only advantage I have over them.
- [filling up a bag with stakes] How many more of these will I have to make before they're all destroyed? They want my blood. Their lives are mine. I still get squeamish.
- This is Robert Morgan. If somebody can hear me, answer me. For God's sake, ANSWER ME.
- Your new society sounds charming.
- Freaks! All of you, freaks! Mutations!
- You're Freaks! I'm a man! The last — man.
- Kathy Morgan: Mommy, where are you? Mommy, I can't see.
- Ben Cortman: Morgan, come out!
- Virginia Morgan: [Virginia has become a vampire] Let... me... in.
- Ruth Collins: But *you* lived through all this. Do you know why?
- Robert Morgan: Perhaps I was chosen.
- Ben Cortman: There are stories being told, Bob.
- Robert Morgan: By people who are out of their minds with fear.
- Ben Cortman: Maybe. But there are too many to be just coincidental. Stories about people who have died and have come back.
- Robert Morgan: They're stories Ben, stories.
- Ben Cortman: You're whistling past a graveyard.
- Robert Morgan: Is that a commentary on my work at the lab?
- Ben Cortman: Who is it?
- Robert Morgan: It's me, Ben! We're late!
- [Ben answers the door]
- Robert Morgan: Ben, what's the matter with you?
- Ben Cortman: Nothing and I'm going to keep it that way.
- Robert Morgan: Ben, look, let's talk about this.
- Ben Cortman: There's nothing to talk about. You think I'm out of my mind. You laughed at me and my theory. You might be one of them.
- Robert Morgan: Ben, look, you're ill. You ought to see a doctor.
- Ben Cortman: No doctors! You take care of your life, I'll take care of mine. Now get away from here. You understand, get away from here!
- Robert Morgan: [slams the door]
- Dr. Mercer: You're the only one who wasn't afraid to come here today.
- Robert Morgan: What's going to happen, Dr. Mercer? Is everybody in the world going to die before someone finds the answer?
- Dr. Mercer: No, I don't think so. I don't deny there's some strange evolutionary process going on, but mankind won't be destroyed. The fact that you and I are working here today is evidence of that.
- By night they leave their graves, crawling, shambling, through empty streets, whimpering, pleading, begging for his blood!
- Do you dare to imagine what it would be like to be... the last man on earth... or the last woman?
- Alive among the lifeless... alone among the crawling creatures of evil that make the night hideous with their inhuman craving!
- Vincent Price as Dr. Robert Morgan
- Franca Bettoia as Ruth Collins, an infected individual
- Emma Danieli as Virginia Morgan, the wife of Robert Morgan
- Giacomo Rossi-Stuart as Ben Cortman
- Umberto Raho as Dr. Mercer
- Christi Courtland as Kathy Morgan
- Antonio Corevi as the Governor
- Ettore Ribotta as the TV Reporter
- Rolando De Rossi
- Carolyn De Fonseca dubbed for Ruth Collins' voice in the English release of the film. She was uncredited.
- Giuseppe Mattei as the leader of the survivors. He was also uncredited.