The Last of the Mohicans (1992 film)
The chemist who can extract from his heart's elements, compassion, respect, longing, patience, regret, surprise, and forgiveness and compound them into one can create that atom which is called love.Kahlil Gibran
- Directed by Michael Mann. Written by Michael Mann and Christopher Crowe, based on the novel by James Fenimore Cooper.
- [to Cora] No, you submit, do you hear? You be strong, you survive... You stay alive, no matter what occurs! I will find you. No matter how long it takes, no matter how far, I will find you.
- Colonel Munro: Death and honor are thought to be the same, but today I have learned that sometimes they are not.
- Magua: When the Grey Hair is dead, Magua will eat his heart. Before he dies, Magua will put his children under the knife, so the Grey Hair will know his seed is wiped out forever.
- Gen. Webb: Kindly inform Major Heyward that he has little to fear from this General Marquis de Montcalm in the first place; and scant need of a colonial militia in the second because the French haven't the nature for war. Their Gallic laziness combines with their Latinate voluptuousness with the result that they would rather eat and make love with their faces than fight.
- Chingachgook: Great Spirit, Maker of All Life. A warrior goes to you swift and straight as an arrow shot into the sun. Welcome him and let him take his place at the council fire of my people. He is Uncas, my son. Tell them to be patient and ask death for speed; for they are all there but one - I, Chingachgook - Last of the Mohicans.
- British Soldier: You call yourself a patriot, and loyal subject to the Crown?
- Hawkeye: I do not call myself subject to much at all.
- Maj. Heyward: There is a war on. How is it you are heading west?
- Hawkeye: Well, we face to the north and, real subtle like, turn left.
- Maj. Heyward: And who empowered these colonials to pass judgment on England's policies, and to come and go without so much as a "by your leave"?
- Cora Munro: They do not live their lives "by your leave"! They hack it out of the wilderness with their own two hands, burying their children along the way!
- Maj. Heyward: You are defending him because you've become infatuated with him!
- Cora Munro: Duncan, you are a man with a few admirable qualities, but taken as a whole, I was wrong to have thought so highly of you.
- Jack Winthrop: You're not coming with us?
- Hawkeye: I've got a reason to stay.
- Jack Winthrop: That reason wear a striped skirt and work in the surgery?
- Hawkeye: It does. No offense, but it's a better looking reason than you, Jack Winthrop.
- Cora Munro: They're going to hang you. Why didn't you leave when you had the chance?
- Hawkeye: Because what I'm interested in is right here.
- [From the Director's Expanded Edition]
- Chingachgook: The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.
- Hawkeye: That is my father's sadness talking.
- Chingachgook: No, it is true. The frontier place is for people like my white son and his woman and their children. And one day there will be no more frontier. And men like you will go too, like the Mohicans. And new people will come, work, struggle. Some will make their life. But once, we were here.
- Daniel Day-Lewis - Hawkeye (Nathaniel Poe)
- Madeleine Stowe - Cora Munro
- Russell Means - Chingachgook
- Eric Schweig - Uncas
- Jodhi May - Alice Munro
- Steven Waddington - Maj. Duncan Heyward
- Wes Studi - Magua
- Maurice Roëves - Col. Edmund Munro
- Patrice Chéreau - Gen. Montcalm
- Edward Blatchford - Jack Winthrop
- Pete Postlethwaite - Capt. Beams
- Colm Meaney - Maj. Ambrose
- Mac Andrews - Gen. Webb