The Legend of 1900
Nobody gets to live life backward. Look ahead, that is where your future lies.Ann Landers
- It wasn't what I saw that stopped me Max... it was what I didn't see.
- Take piano: keys begin, keys end. You know there are 88 of them. Nobody can tell you any different. They are not infinite. You're infinite... And on those keys, the music that you can make... is infinite. I like that. That I can live by...
- You rolled out in front of me a keyboard of millions of keys, millions and billions of keys that never end. And that's the truth Max, that they never end. That keyboard is infinite... and if that keyboard is infinite, then on that keyboard there is no music you can play. You're sitting on the wrong bench... That is God's piano.
- Christ, did you... did you see the streets, just the streets? There were thousands of them! Then how you do it down there, how do you choose just one... one woman, one house, one landscape to look at, one way to die...?
- Land? Land is a ship too big for me, it's a woman too beautiful, it's a voyage too long, perfume too strong...
- [after his grand finale on the piano, he lights the cigarette on the strings of the piano, walks to Jelly Roll Morton and says] You smoke it. I don't know how.
- Fuck the regulations!
- And fuck jazz, too.
- Why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why? I think land people waste a lot of time wondering why?. Winter comes, you wish it was summer. Summer comes, you live in dread of winter. That's why we never tire of travel.
- I often thought about him during the war; if only 1900 were here, who knows what he'd do, what he'd say. 'Fuck war' he'd say. But somehow, coming from me, it wasn't the same.
- You're never really done for, as long as you've got a good story and someone to tell it to.
- Sometimes that is the way you have to do it: you go right back to the beginning.
- Danny Boodmann: My son grow up to be a lawyer, I swear I'll kill him myself.
- Max: What is wrong with you?
- 1900: I can't help it. Music makes me cry.
- 1900: Hey, Max, gimme a cigarette, will you?
- Max: You're not handling this well.
- 1900: Just gimme a cigarette.
- Max: You don't smoke. What is the matter with you? You could lick this guy with one hand, come on!
- 1900: You gonna gimme a cigarette?
- Max: We're gonna be chucking coal a couple a hundred years and all you can say is...
- 1900: Give me a fucking cigarette, will you?
- Jelly Roll Morton: I believe you're sitting in my seat.
- 1900: You're the one that invented jazz, right?
- Jelly Roll Morton: That's what they say. And you're the one who can't play without the ocean under his ass, right?
- 1900: That's what I say.
- Jelly Roll Morton: You can stick this up your ass.
- 1900: You asked for it, asshole.