The Little Mermaid
Yet each man kills the thing he loves from all let this be heard some does it with a bitter look some with a flattering word the coward does it with a kiss the brave man with the sword.Oscar Wilde
- I'm 16 years old! I'm not a child!
- You're not getting cold fins now are you?
- Don't be such a Puff.
- Flounder, will you relax? Nothing is going to happen.
- Music? Oh, the concert! Oh my gosh, my father's going to kill me.
- Maybe he's right. Maybe there is something the matter with me, (huff), I just don't see how a world that makes such wonderful things, could be bad.
- [Singing] Look at this stuff, isn't it neat?
Wouldn't ya think my collection's complete
Wouldn't you think I'm the girl
Girl who has everything
Look at this trove, treasures untold
How many wonders can one cavern hold?
Looking around here you'd think
Sure, she's got everything
I've got gadgets and gizmos aplenty
I have whoosits and whatsis galore
You want thingamabobs? I've got twenty
But who cares? No big deal
I want more
I wanna be where the people are
I wanna see/Wanna see 'em dancing
Walking around on those
Whaddya call 'em
Flipping your fins
You don't get too far
Legs are required
Strollin' along down a...
What's that word again
Up where the walk
Up where they run
Up where they stay all day in the sun
Wish I could be
Part of that world.
What would I give if I could live out of these waters?
What would I pay to spend a day warm on the sand?
Betcha' on land they understand that they don't repremand their daughters
Bright young women
Sick of swimmin'
Ready to stand
I'm ready to know what the people know
Ask 'em my questions and get some answers
What's a fire?
And why does it what's the word?
When's it my turn
Wouldn't I love, love to explore that shore up above?
Out of the sea
Wish I could be
Part of that world.
- Part of Your World
- He's very handsome isn't he?
- [Last lines] I love you, Daddy.
- If you wanna be a human, the first thing you gotta do is dress like one.
- It's a dinglehopper. Humans use these little babies... to straighten their hair out. See? Just a little twirl here and a yank there and voila. You've got an aesthetically pleasing configuration of hair that humans go nuts over.
- Showing Ariel a kitchen fork
- In my day, we had fantastical feasts when I lived in the palace.
- Come in. Come in, my child. We mustn't lurk in doorways- it's rude. One might question your upbringing.
- King Triton's daughter will be mine, and then I'll make him writhe. I'll make him wriggle like a worm on a hook. (Evil Laugh)
- [singing] On land it's much preferred for ladies not to say a word.
- So much for true love! (These are also the character's last words)
- King Triton: Ariel, how many times must we go through this? You could've been seen by one of those barbarians! By... by one of those... humans!
- Ariel: Daddy, they're not barbarians!
- King Triton: They are dangerous! Do you think I want to see my youngest daughter snared by some fish-eater's hook?
- [Ariel and Scuttle see Eric.]
- Ariel: I've never seen a human this close before. Oh - he's very handsome, isn't he?
- [Scuttle looks at Eric's dog.]
- Scuttle: I dunno, he looks kinda hairy and slobbery to me.
- Ariel: [referring to Eric] You don't even know him!
- King Triton: Know him? I don't have to know him! They're all the same: spineless, savage, harpooning fish-eaters, incapable of any feeling!
- Ariel: Daddy, I love him!
- King Triton: No! Have you lost your senses completely? He's a human, you're a mermaid!
- Ariel: I don't care!
- King Triton: So help me, Ariel, I am going to get through to you; and if this is the only way, so be it!
- Ariel: If I become human, I'll never be with my father or sisters again.
- Ursula: That's right. But you'll have your man. Life's full of tough choices, innit?
- King Triton: Well, I guess there's just one problem left.
- Sebastian: And what's that, your majesty?
- King Triton: How much I'm going to miss her...
- Scuttle: I haven't seen this in years, this is wonderful.
- Ariel: What is it?
- Scuttle: A banded, bulbous snarfblatt.
- Ariel, Flounder: Ooooooh.
- Scuttle: Now the snarfblatt dates back to prehysterical times when humans used to sit around and stare at each other all day. Got very boring. So they invented this snarfblatt to make fine music.
[Showing Ariel a pipe for smoking.]
- Jodi Benson — Ariel
- Christopher Daniel Barnes — Prince Eric
- Samuel Wright — Sebastian
- Pat Carroll — Ursula
- Buddy Hackett — Scuttle
- Jason Marin — Flounder
- Kenneth Mars — King Triton
- Pat Carroll — Flotsam and Jetsam