The Longest Day
The old Quaker was right: "I expect to pass through life but once. If there is any kindness, or any good thing I can do to my fellow beings, let me do it now. I shall pass this way but once. "W. C. Gannett
- "He's dead. I'm crippled. You're lost. I suppose it's always like that. I mean war."
- Flying Officer David Campbell to the young, lost American soldier Schultz.
- "Cor, stone the crows!"
- A British soldier to his chaplain who insists on finding his Communion set, despite being chest-deep in a river and under fire.
- "I don't like it, but there it is."
- General Dwight D. Eisenhower commenting on the necessity of launching the Invasion in such bad weather.
- "You can't give the enemy a break. Send him to hell."
- Lieutenant-Colonel Benjamin Vandervoort to his men just before they embark.
- "Au cœur des ténèbres, au plus profond de la nuit, il ne faut jamais désespérer. Gardons notre foi intacte, inébranlable! Pour chacun de nous, la délivrance approche." ("In the heart of the darkness, in the deepest of the night, we must never lose hope. Let us keep our faith intact, unshakable! For each of us, deliverance is coming.")
- "Glauben Sie mir, meine Herren, die ersten vierundzwanzig Stunden dieser Invasion werden entscheidend sein! Das wird für die Alliierten, aber auch für die Deutschen, der längste Tag werden — der längste Tag." ("Believe me, gentlemen, the first twenty-four hours of this invasion will be decisive! It will become for the Allies, as well as for the Germans, the longest day — the longest day.")
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, speaking the title line to his generals.
- Die Invasion! Sie kommen! ("The invasion! They're coming!")
- Major Werner Pluskat, looking utterly terrified, to his men in his command bunker upon seeing, through his binoculars, the fleet coming straight at him.
- Auf mich zu, direkt! ("Straight for me!")
- Major Werner Pluskat, when asked by his superior where the invasion ships were headed.
- Die fünftausend Schiffe, die die Alliierten gar nicht haben können, wie Sie meinen, sie haben sie! Ja, sie haben sie! ("Those five thousand ships, you say the Allies can't possibly have, they've got them! Yes, they've got them!")
- Major Werner Pluskat, reporting to his superior.
- "Get off the beach! Move inland! Get off the beach! Move inland! The sooner we get off this beach, the sooner they'll stop this blasted shelling. It's very bad for the dog."
- "As my grandmother used to say, anything mechanical, give it a good bash."
- both by Cmdr. Colin Maud, RN.
- "Eine Invasion in der Normandie wäre gegen alle Gesetze militärischer Logik – gegen alle Logik überhaupt. ("An invasion in Normandy would be against all laws of military logic – against all logic, utterly.")
- Field Marshal Gerd von Rundstedt to himself, as he perhaps begins to realize that it is the invasion, and not simply a diversion as he has believed.
- "Jetzt will ich wirklich wissen, auf welcher Seite der lieber Gott steht." ("Now I'd really like to know what side God is on." - not correctly translated in the movie's official subtitles)
- General Gunther Blumentritt
- "Sometimes I wonder whose side God is on."
- Colonel Vandervoort.