The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (film)
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring is the 2001 first film in the The Lord of the Rings Movie Trilogy, based on the book by J.R.R. Tolkien. It tells the tale of nine companions starting out on a quest to destroy the One Ring and secure the fate of Middle Earth.
Gandalf the Grey
- [Of the Ring inscription] In the Common tongue it says, "One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them!"
- I am a servant of the secret fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor! The Dark fire will not avail you, Flame of Udûn! Go back to the shadow! YOU... SHALL NOT... PASS!
- I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!
- It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.
- If I take one more step it'll be the farthest away from home I've ever been.
- I made a promise, Mr. Frodo. A promise. "Don't you leave him, Samwise Gamgee", and I don't mean to. I don't mean to!
- It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing... such a little thing.
- I would have followed you, my brother, my captain, my king...
- It began with the forging of the Great Rings. Three were given to the Elves, immortal, wisest, and fairest of all beings. Seven to the Dwarf lords, great miners and craftsmen of the mountain halls. And nine, nine Rings were gifted to the race of Men, who above all else, desire power. For within these Rings was bound the strength and will to govern each race. But they were all of them deceived... for another Ring was made.
- Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.
- Gollum: It came to me. My own, my love, my own, my... preccciouss... Gollum!
- Saruman: Your love of the Halflings' leaf has clearly slowed your mind.
- Aragorn: [of the Ringwraiths] They were once men, great kings of men. Then Sauron the Deceiver gave to them nine Rings of Power. Blinded by their greed, they took them without question, one by one falling into darkness. Now they are slaves to his will. They are the Nazgûl: Ringwraiths, neither living nor dead. At all times they feel the presence of the Ring, drawn to the power of the One. They will never stop hunting you.
- Gimli: Nobody tosses a dwarf.
- Frodo: I will take it! I will take the Ring to Mordor. Though... I do not know the way.
- Gandalf: I will help you bear this burden, Frodo Baggins, as long as it is yours to bear.
- Aragorn: If, by my life or death, I can protect you, I will. You have my sword.
- Legolas: And you have my bow.
- Gimli: And my axe.
- Boromir: You carry the fates of us all, little one. If this is indeed the will of the Council, then Gondor will see it done.
- [Sam appears from behind some bushes.]
- Sam: Here! And Mr. Frodo's not going anywhere without me!
- Elrond: No, indeed! It is hardly possible to separate you, even when he is summoned to a secret Council and you are not.
- [Merry and Pippin run into the Council meeting]
- Merry: Oi! We're coming too! You'll have to send us home tied up in a sack to stop us!
- Pippin: Anyway, you need people of intelligence on this sort of mission. Quest. Thing.
- Merry: Well that rules you out, Pip.
- Elrond: Nine companions... So be it. You shall be the Fellowship of the Ring.
- Pippin: Great. Where are we going?
- Frodo: It's a pity Bilbo didn't kill [Gollum] when he had the chance.
- Gandalf: Pity? It was pity that stayed Bilbo's hand. Many that live deserve death, and some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. Even the very wise cannot see all ends.
- Frodo: I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.
- Gandalf: So do all who live to see such times; but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you were also meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought.