The Princess Bride (film)
The Princess Bride is a 1987 film, based on a 1973 novel, that tells a classic fairy tale, with swordplay, giants, an evil prince, a beautiful princess, and yes, some kissing (as read by a kindly grandfather).
See also: The Princess Bride
- True love has never been a snap.Taglines
- Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
- You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia," but only slightly less well known is this: "Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!" [laughs maniacally, then falls over dead]
- [Aboard Vizzini's boat.]
- Inigo: That Vizzini, he can fuss.
- Fezzik: Fuss... Fuss... I think he likes to scream at us.
- Inigo Montoya: Probably he means no harm.
- Fezzik: He's really very short on charm.
- Inigo Montoya: You have a great gift for rhyme.
- Fezzik: Yes, yes, some of the time.
- Vizzini: Enough of that.
- Inigo Montoya: Fezzik, are there rocks ahead?
- Fezzik: If there are, we'll all be dead.
- Vizzini: No more rhymes now, I mean it!
- Fezzik: Anybody want a peanut?
- Vizzini: [screams in frustration]
- Man in Black: Once word leaks out that a pirate has gone soft, people begin to disobey you, and then it's nothing but work, work, work all the time.
- Buttercup: You mock my pain!
- Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness! Anyone who says differently is selling something.
- Westley: I told you I would always come for you. Why didn't you wait for me?
- Buttercup: Well... you were dead.
- Westley: Death cannot stop true love. All it can do is delay it for a while.
- Buttercup: I will never doubt again.
- Westley: There will never be a need.
- Miracle Max: See, there's a big difference between mostly dead, and all dead. Now, mostly dead: he's slightly alive. All dead: well, with all dead, there's usually only one thing that you can do.
- Inigo: What's that?
- Miracle Max: Go through his clothes and look for loose change.
- Inigo Montoya: True love! You heard him! You could not ask for a more noble cause than that.
- Miracle Max: Sonny, true love is the greatest thing in the world. Except for a nice MLT: a mutton, lettuce and tomato sandwich, where the mutton is nice and lean and the tomato is ripe. They're so perky, I love that.
- Humperdinck: [flinching angrily] That may be the first time in my life a man has dared insult me.
- Westley: It won't be the last. "To the pain" means the first thing you lose will be your feet, below the ankles, then your hands at the wrists. Next, your nose.
- Humperdinck: [losing his patience] And then my tongue, I suppose. I killed you too quickly the last time, a mistake I don't mean to duplicate tonight.
- Westley: I wasn't finished! The next thing you lose will be your left eye, followed by your right —
- Humperdinck: [exasperated] And then my ears. I understand! Let's get on with it —
- Westley: WRONG! Your ears you keep, and I'll tell you why. So that every shriek of every child at seeing your hideousness will be yours to cherish. Every babe that weeps at your approach, every woman who cries out, "Dear God, what is that thing?" will echo in your perfect ears. That is what "to the pain" means. It means I leave you in anguish, wallowing in freakish misery forever.
- Scaling the Cliffs of Insanity, Battling Rodents of Unusual Size, Facing torture in the Pit of Despair. - True love has never been a snap.
- It's as real as the feelings you feel
- Heroes. Giants. Villains. Wizards. True Love. - Not just your basic, average, everyday, ordinary, run-of-the-mill, ho-hum fairy tale.
- She gets kidnapped. He gets killed. But it all ends up okay.
- Cary Elwes - Westley/Man in Black
- Mandy Patinkin - Inigo Montoya
- Chris Sarandon - Prince Humperdinck
- Christopher Guest - Count Tyrone Rugen
- Wallace Shawn - Vizzini
- André the Giant - Fezzik
- Fred Savage - The Grandson
- Robin Wright Penn - Buttercup/The Princess Bride
- Peter Falk - The Grandfather
- Peter Cook - The Impressive Clergyman
- Mel Smith - The Albino
- Carol Kane - Valerie
- Billy Crystal - Miracle Max