The Shawshank Redemption
The Shawshank Redemption is a 1994 film about a banker who is accused of double murder in the 1940s and begins a life sentence at the fictional Shawshank prison, where he's befriended by an older inmate, named Red. During his long stretch in prison, Dufresne comes to be admired by the other inmates for his upstanding moral code and unquenchable sense of hope.
- Written and directed by: Frank Darabont, based on the Stephen King novella Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption.
- All I ask is three beers a piece for each of my co-workers...I think a man workin' outdoors feels more like a man if he can have a bottle of suds. That's only my opinion.
- The funny thing is, on the outside, I was an honest man, straight as an arrow. I had to come to prison to be a crook.
- [in a letter] Dear Red, If you're reading this, you've gotten out. And if you've come this far, maybe you're willing to come a little further. You remember the name of the town, don't you? I could use a good man to help me get my project on wheels. I'll keep an eye out for you and the chessboard ready. Remember, Red. Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies. I will be hoping that this letter finds you, and finds you well. Your friend, Andy.
Ellis Boyd 'Red' Redding
- The first night's the toughest, no doubt about it. They march you in naked as the day you were born, skin burning and half blind from that delousing shit they throw on you, and when they put you in that cell, when those bars slam home, that's when you know it's for real. Old life blown away in the blink of an eye. Nothing left but all the time in the world to think about it. Most new fish come close to madness the first night. Somebody always breaks down crying. Happens every time. The only question is, who's it gonna be? It's as good a thing to bet on as any, I guess. I had my money on Andy Dufresne. I remember my first night. Seems like a long time ago.
- I have no idea to this day what those two Italian ladies were singing about. Truth is, I don't want to know. Some things are better left unsaid. I'd like to think they were singing about something so beautiful, it can't be expressed in words, and it makes your heart ache because of it. I tell you, those voices soared higher and farther than anybody in a grey place dares to dream. It was as if some beautiful bird had flapped into our drab little cage and made these walls dissolve away, and for the briefest of moments, every last man in Shawshank felt free.
- Andy Dufresne, who crawled through a river of shit and came out clean on the other side. Andy Dufresne, headed for the Pacific. Those of us who knew him best talk about him often. I swear the stuff he pulled. Sometimes it makes me sad, though, Andy being gone. I have to remind myself that some birds aren't meant to be caged. Their feathers are just too bright and when they fly away, the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up does rejoice, but still, the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone. I guess I just miss my friend.
- I find I'm so excited, I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it is the excitement only a free man can feel, a free man at the start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain. I hope I can make it across the border. I hope to see my friend, and shake his hand. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams. I hope.
Warden Samuel Norton
- I believe in two things - discipline and the Bible. Here you'll receive both. Put your trust in the Lord. Your ass belongs to me. Welcome to Shawshank.
- Red: Why'd you do it?
- Andy: I didn't, since you ask.
- Red: [chuckling] You're gonna fit right in. Everybody in (here) is innocent. Didn't you know that? [to Heywood] Hey Heywood, what you in for?
- Heywood: Didn't do it. Lawyer fucked me.
- Red: Rumor has it you're a real cold fish. You think your shit smells sweeter than most. Is that right?
- Andy: What do you think?
- Red: I'll tell ya the truth. I haven't made up my mind.
- Andy: I had Mr. Mozart to keep me company...[He points and taps his head] It was in here. [And he gestures over his heart] And in here. That's the beauty of music. They can't get that from you. Haven't you ever felt that way about music?...Here's where it makes the most sense. You need it so we don't forget...that there are places in the world that aren't made out of stone, that there's, there's somethin' inside that they can't get to, that they can't touch. It's yours.
- Red: What are you talkin' about?
- Andy: Hope.
- Red: Hope? Let me tell you something, my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane. It's got no use on the inside. You'd better get used to that idea.
- Andy: You know what the Mexicans say about the Pacific?
- Red: No.
- Andy: They say it has no memory. That's where I want to live the rest of my life. A warm place with no memory.
- Red: I don't think you ought to be doing this to yourself, Andy. This is just shitty pipedreams. I mean, Mexico is way the hell down there and you're in here, and that's the way it is.
- Andy: Yeah, right. That's the way it is. It's down there and I'm in here. I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'.
- Tim Robbins - Andy Dufresne
- Morgan Freeman - Ellis Boyd 'Red' Redding
- Bob Gunton - Warden Samuel Norton
- William Sadler - Heywood
- Clancy Brown - Captain Byron T. Hadley
- Gil Bellows - Tommy
- Mark Rolston - Bogs Diamond
- James Whitmore - Brooks Hatlen
- The Shawshank Redemption quotes at the Internet Movie Database
- The Shawshank Redemption at Rotten Tomatoes
- The Shawshank Redemption at Filmsite.org
- A review by Roger Ebert
- A review from The Washington Post
- A review from PrisonFlicks.com
- A review by James Berardinelli
- The script for the film - varies slightly from the final version.