If you observe a really happy man you will find him building a boat, writing a symphony, educating his son, growing Double Dahlias in his garden.W Wolfe
- Directed by Simon Wells. Screenplay by David Duncan and John Logan; Based on the novel by H. G. Wells.
- I could come back a thousand times... and see her die a thousand ways.
- You were right, Phillby. We did go too far.
- You're forgetting one thing. What if?
- Come a little closer, I don't bite.
- We all have our time machines, don't we? Those that take us back... are memories. Those that carry us forward... are dreams.
- You built your time machine because of Emma's death. If she had lived, it would never have existed, so how could you use your time machine to go back and save her? You are the inescapable result of your tragedy, just as I am the escapable result of you.
- You think I don't know you, Alexander? I can look inside your memories. Your nightmares, your dreams. You're a man haunted by those two terrible words, "What if?".
- Who are you, to question 800,000 years... of evolution?
- Vox: Do you know what it's like to remember everything?
- Teacher: If you do that again, I will re-sequence your DNA.
- Phillby: I'm glad he's gone. Maybe he's finally found a place where he can be happy.
- Phillby: A professor from Columbia University should not be corresponding with a crazy German book keeper.
- Hartdegen: He's a patent clerk, not a book keeper, and I think Mister Einstein needs all the support I can give him.
- Phillby: [looking at a futuristic picture] I wonder if we'll ever go too far.
- Hartdegen: With what?
- Phillby: [pointing at the picture] With this. With all of this.
- Hartdegen: No such thing.
- Phillby: Nothing can change what happened.
- Hartdegen: No, you're wrong. Because I will change it.
- Jogger: Hey.
- Hartdegen: Hello.
- Jogger: Nice suit. Very retro.
- Hartdegen: Thank you.
- Jogger: Bet that makes a hell of a cappuccino. That thing.
- Vox: [an image of himself appears] How may I help you?
- [Alexander Hartdegen looks behind Vox]
- Vox: Over here.
- Hartdegen: My question is why can't one change the past
- Vox: Because one cannot travel into the past.
- Hartdegen: How did this happen?
- Soldier #1: The moon. Come on, move it.
- Hartdegen: That's impossible. What happened?
- Soldier #1: What, you been living under a rock?
- Hartdegen: Yes, I've been living under a rock! Now tell me...
- Soldier #1: The demolitions for the lunar colony screwed up the orbit, okay? The moon's breaking up, all right? Now, come on.
- Hartdegen: This is a perversion of every natural law!
- Uber-Morlock: [grabs him by the throat] And what is time travel? But your pathetic attempted to try to control the world around you!
- Vox:(darkly) So, Relic, you want to open Pandora's box, do you? See all the mysteries exposed?
- Alexander: Yes.
- Vox: And if the truth is so horrible that it will haunt your dreams for all time?
- Alexander: I'm used to that.
- 0 to 800,000 in 1.2 seconds.
- Where would you go?
- The future awaits
- Jump start the future
- Be careful what you wish for
- The greatest adventure through all time!
- He was searching for answers to his past. He became a hero for the future.
- Guy Pearce ... Alexander Hartdegen
- Mark Addy ... David Philby
- Phyllida Law ... Mrs. Watchit
- Sienna Guillory ... Emma
- Orlando Jones ... Vox
- Samantha Mumba ... Mara
- Omero Mumba ... Kalen
- Yancey Arias ... Toren
- Jeremy Irons ... Uber-Morlock