To Have and Have Not (film)
To Have and Have Not is a 1944 is a thriller romance war adventure film directed by Howard Hawks and starring Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall. It is nominally based on the novel To Have and Have Not by Ernest Hemingway.
- Slim: You know you don't have to act with me, Steve. You don't have to say anything, and you don't have to do anything. Not a thing. Oh, maybe just whistle. You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow.
- The bolded portion was ranked #34 in the American Film Institute's list of the top 100 movie quotations in American cinema.
- Slim: You know Steve, you're not very hard to figure, only at times. Sometimes I know exactly what you're going to say. Most of the time. The other times... the other times, you're just a stinker.
- Eddie: Was you ever bit by a dead bee?
- Slim: Who was the girl, Steve?
Steve: Who was what girl?
Slim: The one who left you with such a high opinion of women.
- Slim: Give her my love.
Steve: I'd give her my own if she had that on!
- Officer at port: Name?
Steve: Harry Morgan.
Officer at port: Nationality?
Officer at port: What?