Love is the extra effort we make in our dealings with those whom we do not like and once you understand that, you understand all. This idea that love overtakes you is nonsense. This is but a polite manifestation of sex. To love another you have to undertake some fragment of their destiny.Quentin Crisp
- “The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one's own country as a foreign land.” ~ Gilbert K. Chesterton
- "A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving." ~ Lao Tzu
- "Anything we fully do is an alone journey." ~ Natalie Goldberg
- "Don't listen to what they say. Go see." ~ Chinese proverb
- "Go forth on your path, as it exists only through your walking." ~ Saint Augustine (354-430)
- "He who strays discovers new paths." ~ Nils Kjær
- "Curiosity is the best learning tool one can posses." ~ S M Neel
- "When overseas you learn more about your own country, than you do the place you're visiting." ~ Clint Borgen.
- "It's only when we realize that life is taking us nowhere that it begins to have meaning." ~ P. D. Ouspensky
- "if you're not willing to be changed by a place, there's no point in going."
- "Life is like stepping onto a boat that is about to sail out to sea and sink." ~ Shunryu Suzuki
- "Look at the stars lighting up the sky: no one of them stays in the same place." ~ Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)
- "The only way out is through." ~ Geneen Roth
- "The torch of doubt and chaos, this is what the sages steer by." Chuang-Tzu
- "The wise man's home is the universe." ~ Democrites (born c. 460 BC)
- "Traveling is like flirting with life." ~ Advertisement
- "When you get there, there isn't any there there." ~ Gertrude Stein
- "Wherever you are is the entry point." ~ Kabir
- "Who lives sees much. Who travels sees more." ~ Arab proverb
- "I had seen a little and knew a lot. Now I've seen a little more and know a lot less" ~ Micah MacAllen
- "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." ~ Mark Twain, Innocents Abroad Ch. LXII (Conclusion)
- "I love to travel, but I hate to arrive." ~ Albert Einstein
- "They say that travelling broadens your mind, but first you must have a mind."
- "What I don't understand about mobile homes is that you have a mobile place to live, you park it, and you never move it again. That's like buying a Sony Walkman, and nailing it to your hi-fi." - Nick Hancock, UK Comedian
- "In the meadows of the mind no-one travels so far as he who knows not where he is going" Oliver Cromwell
- "Paths are made by walking" - Franz Kafka, ascribed.
- "Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God." ~ Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
- "The use of travelling is to regulate imagination by reality, and instead of thinking how things may be, to see them as they are." ~ Samuel Johnson, Letter to Hester Thrale, 21 September 1773
- "When we get out of the glass bottles of our ego,
and when we escape like squirrels from turning in the cages of our personality
and get into the forest again,
we shall shiver with cold and fright
but things will happen to us
so that we don't know ourselves.
Cool, unlying life will rush in,…" ~ D.H. Lawrence, Escape
- "A wise traveler never despises his own country."
- It., Un viaggiatore prudente non disprezza mai il suo paese. ~ Carlo Goldoni, Pamela (I, 16)
- "The world is a book, those who do not travel read only one page." ~ Saint Augustine (354-430)
- "Embrace the detours." ~ Kevin Charbonneau
- "The earth belongs to anyone who stops for a moment, gazes and goes on his way." -Colette
- "Don't tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you traveled."-Mohammed
- "Own only what you can carry with you; know language, know countries, know people. Let your memory be your travel bag." Alexander Solzhenitsyn
- "A traveller. I love his title. A traveller is to be reverenced as such. His profession is the best symbol of our life. Going from - toward; it is the history of every one of us. It is a great art to saunter." -Henry David Thoreau
- "Tourists don't know where they've been, travelers don't know where they're going. Travel is glamorous only in retrospect." Paul Theroux
- "Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not." Henry David Thoreau
- "To feel at home, stay at home. A foreign country is not designed to make you comfortable. It’s designed to make its own people comfortable." Clifton Fadiman
- "Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world." Scott Cameron
- "for whatever you lose (like a you or a me)/ it’s always ourselves we find in the sea" e.e. cummings
- "A ship in a harbor is safe, but that’s not what ships are built for." William Shedd
- "Travel like Ghandi, with simple clothes, open eyes and an uncluttered mind." Rick Steves
- "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeing new landscapes, but in having new eyes." Marcel Proust
- "People say you have to travel to see the world. Sometimes I think that if you just stay in one place and keep your eyes open, you're going to see just about all that you can handle." Paul Auster. From the film Smoke, spoken by Harvey Keitel as Auggie Wren.
- "The traveler was active; he went strenuously in search of people, of adventure, of experience. The tourist is passive; he expects interesting things to happen to him. He goes "sightseeing." - Daniel J. Boorstin. The Image: A Guide to Psuedo-Events in America, 3.2, 1961
- "If it is better to travel than to arrive, it is because traveling is a constant arriving, while arrival that precludes further traveling is most easily attained by going to sleep or dying." - John Dewey. Human Nature and Conduct: An Introduction to Social Psychology, 4.1, 1992.
- "Travel is a fool's paradise. We owe to our first travels the discovery that place is nothing. At home I dream that at Naples, at Rome, I can be intoxicated with beauty and lose my sadness. I pack my trunk, embrace my friends, embark on the sea, and at last wake up in Naples and there beside me is the Stern Fact, the Sad Self unrelenting, identical, that I fled from . . . My Giant goes with me wherever I go." - Ralph Waldo Emerson, Journal, May 28, 1839.
- "If an ass goes a-traveling, he'll not come home a Horse." Thomas Fuller. Comp., Gnomologia: Adages and Proverbs, 2668, 1732.
- "The longest journey
Is the journey inwards." Dag Hammarskjold. Markings, 1964.
- "The soul of the journey is liberty, perfect liberty, to think, feel, do just as one pleases." - William Hazlitt, "On Going a Journey," Table Talk, 1822.
- "The world may be known
Without leaving the house." - Lao-Tzu. The Way of Life, 47.
- "Remember wherever you go, there you are." - Earl MacRaugh. The Adventures of Buckaroo Bonzi Across the Eighth Dimension, 1984.
- "Though they carry nothing forth with them, yet in all their journey they lack nothing. For wheresoever they come, they be at home." - Sir Thomas More. "Of Their Journeying or Travelling Abroad," Utopia, bk. 2.
- "A rolling stone gathers no moss." - Publius Syrus. Moral Sayings.
- "Why do you wonder that globe-trotting does not help you, seeing that you always take yourself with you? The reason which set you wandering is ever at your heels." - Socrates. In Seneca the Younger. "On Travel as a Cure for Discontent," Moral Letters to Lucilius.
- "To travel hopefully is better than to arrive." - Robert Louis Stevenson. "El Dorado," Virginibus Puerisque, 1881.
- "If there is a nice place, and the place does not come to you - you have to come to the place." - Tony Wheeler
- "A simple woman down in Tyngsborough, at whose house I once stopped to get a draught of water, when I said, recognizing the bucket, that I had stopped there nine years before for the same purpose, asked if I was not a traveler, supposing that I had been traveling ever since, and had now come round again." - Henry David Thoreau. "Thursday," A Week on the Concord and Merrimack Rivers, 1849.
- "What is a journey? A journey is not a trip. It's not a vacation. It's a process. A discovery. It's a process of self-discovery. A journey brings us face to face with ourselves. A journey shows us not only the world, but how we fit in it. Does the person create the journey or does the journey create the person? The journey is life itself. Where will life take you?" - LV commercial