United States Bill of Rights
It is a good thing that life is not as serious as it seems to a waiter.Don Herold
Quotes regarding the United States Bill of Rights.
- A Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government on earth, general or particular, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inferences. ~ Thomas Jefferson
- I cannot consider the Bill of Rights to be an outworn 18th Century 'strait jacket'…Its provisions may be thought outdated abstractions by some. And it is true that they were designed to meet ancient evils. But they are the same kind of human evils that have emerged from century to century wherever excessive power is sought by the few at the expense of the many. In my judgement the people of no nation can lose their basic liberty so long as a Bill of Rights like ours survives and its basic purposes are conscientiously interpreted, enforced and respected so as to afford continuous protection against old, as well as new, devices and practices which might thwart those purposes. ~ Justice Hugo Black, dissenting in Adamson v. California (1947)
- Like the government, corporations must be bound with the chains of the Constitution, and especially of the Bill of Rights. ~ L. Neil Smith
- The Bill of Rights is a born rebel. It reeks with sedition. In every clause it shakes its fist in the face of constituted authority... it is the one guarantee of human freedom to the American people. ~ Frank I. Cobb
- The Declaration of rights is like all other human blessings alloyed with some inconveniences, and not accomplishing fully its object. But the good in this instance vastly overweighs the evil. ~ Thomas Jefferson
- The Framers of the Bill of Rights did not purport to "create" rights. Rather, they designed the Bill of Rights to prohibit our Government from infringing rights and liberties presumed to be preexisting. ~ William J. Brennan, Jr.
- The very first item in our Bill of Rights is freedom of the press, freedom of speech. ~ Roy Barnes
- The whole of the Bill [of Rights] is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of. ~ Albert Gallatin
- We have the Bill of Rights. What we need is a Bill of Responsibilities. ~ Bill Maher
- Without adherence to the original understanding, even the actual Bill of Rights could be pared or eliminated. It is asserted nonetheless, and sometimes on high authority, that the judicial philosophy of original understanding is fatally defective in any number of respects. ~ Robert Bork
- You must remember that, to defeat them, you have to beat them with the principles that this nation was founded upon, man's inalienable right to his own life, Andrew. ~ Dr. Goldstone