Vampire Knight is a manga by Matsuri Hino of the fantasy genre that takes place in an alternate reality in which vampires and humans are in a constant state of conflict, except on the campus of cross academy where Headmaster Cross is trying to allow the two species to peacefully coexist.
- I didn't understand anything. Zero suffered and suffered for four years. What were you thinking, all by yourself? He loathes vampires so much, he wants to kill them all. All this time, Zero wanted to kill himself too.
- I long for him.... but I understand. There's a line that vampires and humans can't cross.
- Being like this makes me feel like we've returned to the old days somewhat. Yeah. Zero is Zero. Even if you are a vampire now.
- Both of us understand, but neither of us will say it. It's a sin to keep a vampire alive by offering my own blood as bait. We are doing something that is forbidden. No one must find out about this.
- Kaname-sama.... I love you! I love you! You are the begining of my world and everything in that world. So even if I couldn't remember my past, I wasn't scared.
- I will do anything if it´s for Kaname-sama.
- A glimpse of what I saw earlier was something that was so distant from me. For Kaname-sama.... And yet right now, this man is lying here in my arms. It´s such a strange feeling.
- The world is dyed with the color of blood. It will never be able to go back to the way it was before.
- The Headmaster talks about the Night Class like they're good vampires who support his pacifism, but I don't trust them. I won't let my guard down. I'm cooperating so I can find the most effective way to kill those beasts in human form.
- Come on vampires. I've been pissed off lately.
- You heard it too? The sound of your blood being sucked in by me. After such a hair-raising experience you can't act as if nothing has changed. So don't interfere anymore.
- I couldn't stop myself from devouring you. I may kill the next human I target as my prey. Shoot me. You're afraid of me, aren't you? Hold the gun with both hands, and aim straight. Aim for my heart. It's not a crime to kill a vampire.
- I borrowed it from the Headmaster. It's a gun to use against vampires. If I loose the human part of me, and go mad as a vampire... shoot me with that gun. Not yet, but that day will eventually come. Kill me by your own hand then.
- Former humans eventually fall into the Level E category, Yuki. They gradually lose their sanity, reaching their "end" -- their destruction.
- Yuki... I won't run away anymore, so don't cry.
- Because Yuki was there, I might have been able to live on...
- I want these gentle hands, and this kind smile, even though I should not want such a thing.
- But you thought it would be okay to become a vampire, right...? I will never let you turn into something like that. Even if it means I have to make Kaname Kuran my enemy...and even if it means you will hate me...
- Listen up, brats! Get the hell back to your dorms! Why do I have to deal with you running around screaming "Kya!!Kya!!" every damn day?! Why?!
- You're a disgrace to all vampires.
- You can have those, this one is enough for me.(after having received Yuuki's chocolates)
- Headmaster Cross, how much longer are you going to keep Zero in the Day Class? That time is approaching for him.
- A human bitten by a pureblood vampire transforms into a vampire. When that happens, there can be only one of two results, dying from the loss of blood, or unfavorably surviving and suffering the pain of slowly transforming into a vampire. Other vampires don't possess this dark power that purebloods have. I respect his strength of will, he was only a human, yet he resisted the powerful vampire instinct for four years.
- You have been reduced to a bloodthirsty beast, Zero Kiryu.
- You devoured her mercilessly. She can't even stand up. Was her blood so delicious?
- The blood has stopped flowing, but the puncture wounds... he really pierced you deeply. Yuki... does it hurt? ...Are you afraid of vampires now?
- It's all right. You be just the way you are, Yuuki. You're different from the Night Class students who wait on me... You're a warm-hearted girl, Yuki. That's more than enough.
- Yuki, I can't keep my composure when my dear girl has been pierced by someone else.
- Yuki is my dear girl. The only one in the entire world.
- Yuki. This is the safest place for you to be.
- Humans should never be turned into vampires. But in the old days, hidden from history, when the war between vampires and vampire hunters was at its peak, vampires turned many humans into vampires to use in battle. And now the aristocrats have the duty to manage those survivors. Sometimes we have to kill them off...
- It's all right, for now. Yuuki will eventually come to me.
- I've been wondering ever since before why do you always look so sad whenever you're with me
- Yuki... You make me cruel.
- Do you want to become a vampire, Yuki? Become a blood sucking monster like me...live for eternity...by my side?
- I´ve never told straight out...but you already know, don´t you Yuuki? I love you more than anything in the world...
- Are you sure? Even if the hidden truth is drenched in blood...Do you still want to know...? (to Yuuki)
- You're the only person who've given me warmth...I've been afraid that you would hate me if you knew the truth
- You will never be betrayed.
- (to Yuki) You have stopped opening your heart to me. That's the only thing about you that has to change.
- Yuki is... the beloved daughter that Haruka and Juuri protected in secret and... the one born to become my wife. If Yuki still desires it...
- I want to put an end to the war between humans and vampires-- a war that has been continuing in the darkness of history since ancient times! I want the young vampires, with their natural intelligence and unfettered hearts, to become a bridge between the two species!! I'm educating them for that purpose! That is why I created the Night Class!
- His and my passionate oath~~! (Reffering to Yagari+Zero)
- I still think about protecting you two...even if it's considered as an act of taboo by "humans".
- Hey baby, what's your blood type?
- The nice smell is your blood, Yuuki.
- Yuki, who made those wounds in your neck? In our classroom the night before last, we suddenly smelt blood, we were surprised. I was the only one who noticed right away that it was your blood.
- Headmaster Cross: I couldn't tell you the truth before. You must be surprised about what happened. I'm sorry Yuki.
- Yuki Cross: I never thought Zero might be a vampire. All this time...
- Headmaster Cross: Yes. He was human, until four years ago when a vampire attacked the Kiryu family. Zero barely survived.
- Hanabusa Aido: This is really pissing me off... What are you to Kaname, Yuuki? Why does Kaname-sama care about you so much?
- Yuki Cross: Kaname saved my life ten years ago from a vampire who had gone berserk.
- Hanabusa Aido : What? I didn't know that. Then Yuki, you should offer Kaname-sama every drop of blood in your body in return.
- Yuki Cross: My Blood?
- Hanabusa Aido : Yes... Your blood belongs to Kaname-sama now. But those puncture wounds aren't from Kaname-sama, are they? Don't give your blood to anyone else anymore... including me. Someday Kaname-sama's lips will gently brush your neck, and his fangs will sink slowly into you... If you heard the sound of Kaname-sama taking in your blood you'd be in ecstasy, Yuki. You should offer yourself to Kaname-sama, plead to him, "Please drink my blood."
- Zero Kiryu: You still can't go outside the school grounds alone!!!
- Yuki Cross: ... I can!
- Zero Kiryu: I know you're afraid to. If you go outside the school you remember, don't you... that not all vampires are "well-behaved" like Kaname Kuran
- Yuki Cross: Shut up! I'm not afraid of what happened ten years ago.
- Zero Kiryu:It is the vampire hunter's duty to kill vampires
- Kaname Kuran: Then why didn't you kill him first? perhaps, Kiryu, you sympathized with him?
- Kaname Kuran:It would be a problem if you die now. I've let you live this far because you've been useful to Yuki, and I know that you would never betray her.
- Zero Kiryu: Just like you, deciding things for me...
- Kaname Kuran:Because my feelings for Yuki are probably the same as yours.
- Zero Kiryu:...I...just want Yuuki to be able to laugh from her heart.
- Kaname Kuran:As do I.
- Zero Kiryu: There is no need for her to sacrifice anything.
- Kaname Kuran:That is correct.
- Kaname Kuran: You're the only person who've given me warmth...I've been afraid that you would hate me if you knew the truth
- Yuki Cross: ...I would never hate you.
- Kaname Kuran: Then show me proof...Will you be my lover?
Shojo Beat (the magazine in which the manga is currently being serialized)