Did you ever see an unhappy horse? Did you ever see bird that had the blues? One reason why birds and horses are not unhappy is because they are not trying to impress other birds and horses.Dale Carnegie
Vernon Howard (1918-1992) was an American writer and spiritual teacher.
- 1 Sourced
- 1.1 1500 Ways to Escape the Human Jungle
- 1.2 40 Inspiring Guides to a New Life
- 1.3 700 Inspiring Guides to a New Life
- 1.4 A Treasury of Trueness
- 1.5 Cosmic Command
- 1.6 Esoteric Encyclopedia of Eternal Knowledge
- 1.7 Esoteric Mind Power
- 1.8 Inspire Yourself
- 1.9 Psycho-Pictography
- 1.10 Solved:The Mystery of Life
- 1.11 The Mystic Path to Cosmic Power
- 1.12 The Power of Esoterics
- 1.13 The Power of Your Supermind
- 1.14 There Is A Way Out
- 1.15 Treasury of Positive Answers
- 2 External links
1500 Ways to Escape the Human Jungle
- Consciously risk the loss of something before losing it, and you will lose the fear of losing it.
- Take disturbance as an awakening sign that you misunderstand something you assumed you understood.
- To win real rewards, we must firmly decline the deceptive rewards offered by society.
- We need not hide anything from Truth, for it never condemns us, but only wishes to help.
- You are not responsible for anyone who stubbornly chooses to ruin his own life.
40 Inspiring Guides to a New Life
- Truth does not hurt, rather, it is our resistance to its message that causes pain.
700 Inspiring Guides to a New Life
- If you hand a man a lemon and tell him that its sourness lies outside the lemon, he will think you are joking. Yet, with a perfectly straight face, that same man will tell you that his sour life is caused by external events. When will man learn that he is the cause of his own feelings for either happiness or anxiety?
- The power of fantasy is so strong that people think they are having a good time when they are merely wasting money.
- When we associate with others we really associate with ourselves. We like or dislike in others whatever we like or dislike in ourselves.
A Treasury of Trueness
- Worried thought prevents practical thought which could prevent worried thought.
- Mental silence is the perfect response to a challenge.
- Self-righteousness loves to pounce on an evil which by sheer accident is not its particular evil.
- The delusion of having wisdom creates the dangerous delusion of having power, leading to disaster.
Esoteric Encyclopedia of Eternal Knowledge
- A person obsessed with the need to be happy will never be so. The obsession is the obstruction. He does not really seek happiness, rather he seeks for a condition which matches his personl idea regarding the nature of happiness. But happiness is not a mere idea, for one idea will always have competition from another idea. The is why the unhappy man chases for ever from one attraction to another. Happiness will come when he stops chasing, that is, when he stops thinking that an idea about happiness is the same as happiness. A man enjoying the sunshine does so without analysing it.
- Ask spiritual questions with intense integrity, and inspiring answers will surely arrive.
Esoteric Mind Power
- The need to impress others causes half the world's woes. Don't add to them. Be real, not impressive.
- It is not a disaster to discover that you are not the person you assumed you were. To the contrary, it is the beginning of the end of disaster. Experiment: How you feel if you were neither a success or failure in life? How would you feel if you were neither popular nor unwanted?
- You are not your cluster of memorized ideas about yourself. Awareness of this dissolves both the cluster and the belief that others can control you. If you have a self-image of being a desirable person, others can control you by flattering it, but can they control if you have no such image?
- Astonishingly, if you will have absolutely nothing to do with suffering, suffering will have nothing to do with you.
- Remember that an answer to a difficulty resides at a higher level than our usual thinking, so seek this loftier level.
- The only activities of true value are those which aim at inner transformation.
- Everyone has imaginary ideas of himself as being this or that sort of person. And you can be sure that the images are highly complimentary! But since they are purely imaginary, they are highly sensitive to assault by reality.
- What a dawning appears to the man or woman who earnestly inquires, 'Who is living my life for me?' Am I really thinking for myself or am I unknowingly projecting acquired ideas which may be all wrong?
Solved:The Mystery of Life
- The less life in a person, the more he will try to live off your life.
- The only way you're going to have a good relationship with anyone is to have a good relationship with yourself.
The Mystic Path to Cosmic Power
- All heartache is caused by wrong viewpoints.
- A perfect method for awakening is to examine the results of our daily actions. If they are harmful, we know we need more consciousness.
- Honestly face your inner poverty as a means of discovering your inner wealth.
- The most marvelous experience of life is to transform life according to reality, not imagination.
- The real prize is never delivered by memory or by imagination, but by something above them.
The Power of Esoterics
- The power of the present moment is so immense it is capable - when lived in fully - of destroying forever every past mistake and regret.
- Try to see what attitudes rule your day, then ask what kind of a day you usually have.
The Power of Your Supermind
- If we choose the easy way, by letting another think for us, we must eventually tread the hard way. If we select the hard way, by insisting upon our own mental integrity, we eventually come to the easy way.
- If we will repeatedly suffer the humiliation of admitting that we really do not know what we're talking about, eventually we will.
- No man is really interested in getting what he craves. He is really interested in being at peace with himself, but dosen't know how.
- We burden ourselves with useless ideas which we carelessly take as facts. Instead of letting reality come as a new surprise, we insist that it conform to our habitual concepts, and thus, we spoil everything.
There Is A Way Out
- People fight to preserve their frozen beliefs and then complain of the cold!
- Procrastination is illogical from every viewpoint. It is like the man who wanted to cross the stream, so he sat on the bank to wait for all the water to run by.
- Why do you permit a mere word to stand in your way? Forget the word "difficult" and take your next step.
Treasury of Positive Answers
- Trying to command life without studying one's own mind is like trying to play the piano without studying music.
- You are not really bothered by what others think of you. You are bothered by what you think of yourself.