Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint on it you can.Danny Kaye
- Nec alia, ut arbitror, gens quam haec Kambrica, aliave lingua, in die districti examinis coram Judice supremo, quicquid de ampliori contingat, pro hoc terrarum angulo respondebit.
- Whatever else may come to pass, I do not think that on the Day of Direst Judgement any race other than the Welsh, or any other language, will give answer to the Supreme Judge of all for this small corner of the earth.
- Gerald of Wales, quoting an unnamed Welshman, in Descriptio Cambriae (1194), Bk. 2, ch. 10; translation from Lewis Thorpe (trans.) The Journey Through Wales and the Description of Wales (Harmondsworth: Penguin, 1978) p. 274.
- There are still parts of Wales where the only concession to gaiety is a striped shroud.
- Years and years and years ago, when I was a boy, when there were wolves in Wales, and birds the colour of red-flannel petticoats whisked past the harp-shaped hills, when we sang and wallowed all night and day in caves that smelt like Sunday afternoons in damp front farmhouse parlours, and we chased, with the jawbones of deacons, the English and the bears, before the motor car, before the wheel, before the duchess-faced horse, when we rode the daft and happy hills bareback, it snowed and it snowed.
- Dylan Thomas A Child's Christmas in Wales (Norfolk, Conn.: New Directions, 1954) p. 11.