War of the Worlds (2005 film)
To fall in love is easy, even to remain in it is not difficult; our human loneliness is cause enough. But is a hard quest worth making to find a comrade through whose steady presence one becomes steadily the person one desires to be.Anna Strong
(Redirected from War of the Worlds (2005))
- For the 1953 film, see The War of the Worlds.
- Directed by Steven Spielberg. Written by Josh Friedman, David Koepp, based on the novel by H.G. Wells.
- [first lines] No one would have believed, in the early years of the 21st century, that our world was being watched by intelligences greater than our own; that as men busied themselves about their various concerns, they observed and studied, the way a man with a microscope might scrutinize the creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water. With infinite complacency, men went to and fro about the globe, confident of our empire over this world. Yet across the gulf of space, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic regarded our planet with envious eyes...and slowly, and surely, drew their plans against us.
- [last lines] From the moment the invaders arrived, breathed our air, ate and drank, they were doomed. They were undone, destroyed, after all of man's weapons and devices had failed, by the tiniest creatures that God in his wisdom put upon this earth. By the toll of a billion deaths, man had earned his immunity, his right to survive among this planet's infinite organisms. And that right is ours against all challenges. For neither do men live nor die in vain.
- [To Robbie] Okay, hey, enough of the "Ray" shit! It's Dad, Sir, or, if you prefer, Mr. Ferrier. Now, that sounds a little weird to me, but you decide.
- Two for you, two for Robbie, two for me... One for the house.
- [Looking out at the teleporter's bolt of lightning] Where's the thunder...?
- Robbie, you wanna head in that direction? There's nothing living in that direction, Robbie!
- We're gonna leave this house in 60 seconds.
- Can you think of a plan that doesn't involve your 10-year-old sister joining the army?
- Get in the car, Manny, or you're gonna die!
- [As the family is chased by a tripod] Is it the terrorists?
- [Just before the tripods appear] The trees are moving...
- [unseen] ...Are we still alive?
- [crying, and softly hitting him] Robbie! What are you trying to do? Where are you trying to go! Who's going to take care of me if you leave!
- Is it them? Is it them?
- This is not a war any more than there's a war between "Men and Maggots"... This is an extermination.
- I'm dead set on living. [laughs, to himself] "Dead set on living".
- Reporter: Once the tripods start to move, no more news comes out of that area.
- Marine Corps Captain: Our mission Lieutenant, is to delay their advance until those refugees get to safety! Now keep firing!
- Marine Corps Officer: Guidons, Guidons, Black Six. Attack, attack, attack!
- National Guard Lieutenant: Load the Gustavs, this is gonna be a tough kill!
- Tim: (awkwardly) I'm.....uh.....I'm gonna wait outside.
- Mary Ann: You're out of milk. And everything else.
- Captured Army Private: Everybody get do-[Explosion cuts him off]
- Rachel: I'm allergic to peanut butter.
- Ray: Since when?
- Rachel: Birth.
- Reporter: Hey, were you on that plane?
- [Ray shakes his head]
- Reporter: Too bad. Would have made a great story.
- Robbie: Is it the terrorists?
- Ray: No... this came from someplace else.
- Robbie: What, you mean like Europe?
- Ray: (Screaming) No Robbie! Not like Europe!
- Ray: Ketchup.. Mustard.. Tabasco Sauce.. Vinaigrette.. This is good, Robbie, I told you to pack food. What the hell is this?
- Robbie Ferrier: That's all that was in your kitchen.
- Mary-Anne: Take care of our kids.
- Ray: Mary-Anne, you've got nothing to worry about.
- Rachel: If everything's okay, why do we have to sleep in the basement? We have perfectly good beds.
- Ray: It's, like a slumber-party. [looks around] This is a nice basement...
- Rachel: I wanna sleep in my bed. I got back problems.
- Ray: Uh, well, you know how on the Weather Channel, when they say a tornado's coming and they tell you to go to the basement for safety? It's like that.
- Rachel: There's gonna be tornadoes?
- Ray: Okay, Rachel, no more talking.
- [Robbie puts his cap on Rachel's head.]
- Rachel: Could you be a little nicer to me, God?
- Ray: [after a lightning flash] It's okay, you're fine.
- Rachael: IT HIT RIGHT BEHIND OUR HOUSE!
- Ray: Yeah..uh. It's not gonna hit there again, okay? Because lightning doesn't strike twice in the same place - [lightining begins striking the same place] HOLY SHIT!
- They're already here.
- This Summer, the last war on Earth won't be started by humans.