- We did not think that [Egyptian President] Nasser wanted war. The two divisions he sent to Sinai on May 14 would not have been sufficient to launch an offensive against Israel. He knew it and we knew it.
- Published in Le Monde, February 28 1968, while Rabin was The Chief of General Staff for Israel
- Military cemeteries in every corner of the world are silent testimony to the failure of national leaders to sanctify human life.
- From the 1994 Nobel Peace Prize lecture
האדם אינו פלדה.
הוא לב ונשמה, הוא בוכה וצוחק.
הוא אוהב וכואב.
הוא מסתער ונפצע וזועק.
האדם הוא אדם.
Humans are not made of steel.
They have a heart and a soul, they cry and laugh.
They love and hurt.
They attack, get injured and scream.
Humans are humans.
.אלימות היא כרסום יסוד הדמוקרטיה הישראלית. יש לגנות אותה, להוקיע אותה, לבודד אותה
- Translation: Violence erodes the basis of Israeli democracy. It must be condemned, denounced and isolated.
די לדם ולדמעות. די. אין בנו שנאה כלפיכם, אין אנו תאבי נקמה. אנו, כמוכם, אנשים שרוצים לבנות בית, לטעת עץ, לאהוב ולחיות לצידכם בכבוד, באהדה, כבני אדם, כבני חורין.
- Translation: Enough blood and tears. Enough. We have no hatred towards you, we do not wish for revenge. We, as you, are people who want to build a house, to plant a tree, to love and live alongside you in dignity, support, as humans, as free people.
אנו יוצאים היום למלחמה שאין בה הרוגים ופצועים ולא דם ולא סבל. וזו המלחמה היחידה שתענוג להשתתף בה – המלחמה על השלום
- Translation: "We are embarking today on a war in which there are no fallen and injured, and not blood nor suffer. And it is the only war in which it is a pleasure to participate - the war for peace."
- At the White House, upon signing of the Oslo Agreements
- I, Military I.D. No. 30743, Retired General in the Israeli Defense Forces, consider myself to be a soldier in the army of peace today.
- I, who served my country for 27 years as a soldier, I say to you, Your Majesty, the King of Jordan, and I say to you, our American friends: Today we are embarking on a battle which has no dead and no wounded, no blood and no anguish. This is the only battle which is a pleasure to wage: the battle of peace.
- During a speech to the US Congress 1994.
- You can only make peace with your enemies.
- In our tradition there is a saying that "what is a Jewish sport?" And the saying is, "speechmaking." I start to believe, Chairman Arafat, that you are close to being Jewish.
- During a reception of head of states at the White House