There are two ways of being happy: We must either diminish our wants or augment our means—either may do—the result is the same and it is for each man to decide for himself and to do that which happens to be easier.Benjamin Franklin
Юрий Алексеевич Гагарин; Yuri Alekseyevich Gagarin (9 March 1934 – 27 March 1968) Soviet cosmonaut; first human in space (12 April 1961)
- Облетев Землю в корабле-спутнике, я увидел, как прекрасна наша планета. Люди, будем хранить и приумножать эту красоту, а не разрушать её!
- Translation: "Orbiting Earth in the spaceship, I saw how beautiful our planet is. People, let us preserve and increase this beauty, not destroy it!"
- Russian phrase, handwritten and signed after his historic spaceflight.
- Quoted in (photo of facsimile): Lebedev L., Romanov A., Luk'ianov B. Syny goluboi planety, 3rd.ed., Moscow,1981 (in Russian) (1st ed. was translated into English: Lebedev, L.A. Sons of the Blue Planet. New Delhi, India: Amerind Pub Co, 1973.)
- I looked and looked but I didn't see God.
- Quoted in To Rise from Earth (1996) by Wayne Lee; Variant: There are also websites which quote him as saying "I looked and looked and looked but I didn't see God." on the same someone in Moscow remarked "if you could not see him on earth, how could you see him in the space?" on 14 April 1961, a couple days after his historic flight.
- I don't see any god up here.
- This has been reported as a remark Gagarin made while in orbit aboard Vostok 1, but there is no indication of it in the official transcripts of his communications. It is similar to the above statements he reportedly made after his return to earth, which might have given rise to this account.
- I am a friend, comrades, a friend!
- First words upon returning to earth, to a woman and a girl near where his capsule landed. (12 April 1961) The woman asked: "Can it be that you have come from outer space?" to which Gagarin replied: "As a matter of fact, I have!"
- What beauty. I saw clouds and their light shadows on the distant dear earth.... The water looked like darkish, slightly gleaming spots.... When I watched the horizon, I saw the abrupt, contrasting transition from the earth's light-colored surface to the absolutely black sky. I enjoyed the rich color spectrum of the earth. It is surrounded by a light blue aureole that gradually darkens, becoming turquiose, dark blue, violet, and finally coal black.
- When they saw me in my space suit and the parachute dragging alongside as I walked, they started to back away in fear. I told them, don't be afraid, I am a Soviet like you, who has descended from space and I must find a telephone to call Moscow! 
- Later recalled by Gagarin about the landing
- Gagarin - detailed biography at Encyclopedia Astronautica
- Photo, Audio and Video with Yuri Gagarin (in Russian), online version of CD created to his 70th anniv. on the homepage of Russian state archive for scientific-technical documentation (RGANTD).
- Transcripts of Gagarin's conversations from space (MS Word document, in Russian)
- Article in online Encyclopedia of cosmonautics A lot of information about the first human's flight to space (in Russian).
- Various information about Yuri Gagarin (in Russian)
- More Yuri Gagarin Quotes