Zeno of Citium
To love another person is to see the face of God. [Les Miserables]Victor Hugo
- Happiness is a good flow of life.
- Stobaeus, ii. 77.
- Love is a god, who cooperates in securing the safety of the city.
- Athenaeus, Deipnosophists, xiii. 561c.
- All the good are friends of one another.
- Clement of Alexandria, Stromata, v. 14.
- We have two ears and one mouth, so we should listen more than we say.
- Diogenes Laërtius, vii. 23.
- No evil is glorious; but death is glorious; therefore death is no evil.
- Seneca, Epistles, 82
- A bad feeling is a commotion of the mind repugnant to reason, and against nature.
- Cicero, Tusculanae Quaestiones, iv. 6.
- That which exercises reason is more excellent than that which does not exercise reason; there is nothing more excellent than the universe, therefore the universe exercises reason.
- Cicero, De Natura Deorum, ii. 8.; iii. 9
- If melodiously piping flutes sprang from the olive, would you doubt that a knowledge of flute-playing resided in the olive? And what if plane trees bore harps which gave forth rhythmical sounds? Clearly you would think in the same way that the art of music was possessed by plane trees. Why, then, seeing that the universe gives birth to beings that are animate and wise, should it not be considered animate and wise itself?
- Cicero, De Natura Deorum, ii. 8.