Speak low if you speak love.Don Pedro
- If the whiteness they pursue is cool and haughty and blank,
history is uncool, reaches out gawkily for affinities, asserts itself boldly,
threatens to mark, to break through and stain the primed white canvas
that is their life.
For, having primed it, they do not know where to start,
how to make a mark. They are alone in the world, a small new
island of whiteness. Or so they think; they do not know, or perhaps
they do not want to know, that the neighbourhood is full of people
like them. Thus they are steeped in its silence.
- Quotation from Playing in the Light.
- You Can't Get Lost in Cape Town, London, Virago, 1987, (published in South Africa for the first time by Umuzi in 2008).
- David’s Story, Kwela, 2002.
- Playing in the Light, Umuzi, 2006.
- The One That Got Away, Random House-Umuzi, 2008.